For maximum longevity and good looks, maintaining sofa cushion covers properly requires both care and regular upkeep. Here are a few helpful hints that will keep them easy and in great shape.
- Read and Adhere to Care Labels:
Begin your evaluation by reviewing the care labels on cushion covers. Manufacturers typically include detailed cleaning instructions that should be strictly adhered to in order to avoid damage to the cushions.
- Vacuum Regularly:
Regular vacuuming will keep cushion covers clear of dirt, debris and particles that could accumulate inside them and further soiling their fabric coverings. Regular use of an upholstery attachment on a vacuum can prevent dirt from settling into fabric fibers over time.
- Spot Cleaning:Its For small stains or spills, immediately use a clean, dry cloth to absorb liquid spilled on upholstery - do not rub as this could spread stain further! Whenever necessary use mild upholstery-specific cleaning solutions according to care label instructions for further cleanup if necessary.
- Machine Washing: If the cushion covers are machine-washable, remove them from their cushions and follow the care label's instructions for machine washing them. Be sure to use a mild detergent with gentle cycle. Avoid overloading the machine.
- Hand Washing: Whilst machine washing may be preferred, hand-washing cushion covers is also an option in lukewarm water with mild detergent for optimal results. Gently agitate the water to activate and rinse thoroughly to finish this step.
- Drying: Allow cushion covers to air-dry by laying them flat or hanging them, rather than using direct heat such as a tumble dryer - as this could potentially shrink or damage their fabric. Also make sure they are completely dry before returning them to cushions.
- Protect from Sunlight: Direct sunlight can fade and weaken fabric over time. To safeguard it from UV rays, keep your sofa away from direct sunlight by placing curtains or blinds to shield it.
Routinely flip and rotate cushions to evenly distribute wear, helping prevent one side becoming more worn than others. 9. Protect Cushions With Covers:
Consider placing cushion protectors underneath cushion covers as they will add an additional layer of protection from spills and stains. 10. Professional Cleaning Services:
If your sofa cushion covers are heavily stained and you are uncertain how best to clean them yourself, consider hiring a professional upholstery cleaner who has both the knowledge and equipment necessary for deep-cleaning them correctly. As with any cleaning task, preventive measures can also be beneficial.
Encourage family and guests to refrain from eating or drinking during meals and drinks.